Pickering Islamic Centre is committed to providing a safe Islamic environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity.
1. Pickering Islamic Centre (PIC) will make every effort to provide a safe environment for all visitors, attendees, volunteers and staff. It is further recognized that every individual has an equal right to enter in an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment or objectionable behaviour according to the provisions of Islamic Shariah and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
2. PIC considers a safe environment to be one in which all members and attendees of the Centre feel safe, comfortable, and accepted. When inappropriate behaviour occurs, PIC will do its best to utilize a range of interventions, that are developmentally appropriate, that include opportunities for individuals to learn from mistakes, and that focus on improving behaviour.
3. PIC wants all visitors, attendees, volunteers and staff to feel comfortable and safe on the premises. Occasionally this may result in intervention up to and including removal of individual(s) from the premises if they are disturbing others, behaving inappropriately, or present a safety concern. This includes but is not limited to:
- Endangering health and safety
- Disruptive, threatening behaviour; harassment, poisoning the environment, objectionable behaviour, vexatious comments, yelling or screaming
- Offensive or threatening language, swearing
- Actions that are not consistent with Islamic Shariah as determined by PIC
- Access to internet material which is either illegal or offensive in a public building or in an Islamic setting
- Damaging PIC facilities, equipment or materials
- Engaging in bullying behaviours
- Committing sexual assault or harassment
- Trafficking or any involvement in the trafficking of weapons or illegal drugs
- Committing robbery or theft or any involvement thereof
- Being in possession of any weapon, including firearms
- Being in the possession of any illegal substance
- Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, even prescription drugs that cause one to be disruptive to others
- Engaging in hate propaganda or other forms of behaviour motivated by hate or bias
- Eliciting information for which there is no clear necessity and that has not been sanctioned by the administration of PIC
4. If inappropriate behaviour is repeated, persons can be formally excluded from PIC and its services for an extended period of time. PIC may prosecute for serious offences, that is, those under the Criminal Code of Canada, and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
5. The Pickering Islamic Centre supports the Smoke-Free Ontario Act (SFOA). This act:
- does not permit holding or smoking lighted tobacco products in its buildings or on its properties at any time
- expects that the SFOA be enforced consistently by all administrators
- urges the delivery of education programs intended to promote healthy lifestyles, explain legal obligations and encourage respectful behaviour.
Harassment means engaging in a course of vexatious comment, objectionable behaviour, or conduct that is known or ought reasonably to be known to be unwelcome contrary to any ground prescribed by the Ontario Human Rights Code. Harassment can include sexual harassment as defined pursuant to the Code. Harassment does not however include differences of opinion or minor disagreements.
Objectionable Behaviour is often but not always, persistent, ongoing, vexatious conduct or communications in any form, of attitudes, beliefs or actions towards an individual in the workplace which might reasonably be known to be unwelcome. A single serious act or expression can constitute such behaviour.
Poisoned Environment is a specific form of harassment in which a psychological atmosphere is created which causes people to feel fearful, intimidated and/or disrespected.